Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I Was Off Like a Prom Dress


            I was on the dance floor flapping my arms like a wounded bird.
            I looked around at all the other people who were doing the same thing. We looked like mental patients. I think everyone was having fun.  At least they were smiling. There were no spring chickens in the whole group. I am pretty sure everyone there was going through some sort of mid-life crisis.
            I did not care that I looked like an epileptic crack head. I was having a great time and knew I had to do something to make fodder for my column. Besides, I was in a whole different state surrounded by people who had no idea who I was.
            The bad thing is I cannot dance. There is a disconnect somewhere between my brain and my feet. I remember having dance lessons at the local recreation center back home when I was much younger. The instructor would do a move and I would only have to copy it. Simple, right?
            After only a few sessions, the instructor recommended I take art class.
            How did I end up in rural Oklahoma at a Czech dance hall in Garth Brooks’ hometown? Garth was probably just as puzzled as I was.
            My sister in law decided she was going to throw herself a prom for her birthday. The theme was “enchantment under the sea” like in the movie Back to the Future. I am not going to say how old she turned. 
            Someone once told me asking a woman’s age, or telling, it is rude and bad manners. I think she might take offense to having complete strangers knowing it was her fortieth.
             My lips are sealed.
            My wife was excited when she found out there would be a prom. She was finally going to get the thing she always wanted- having me step on her toes. When she and I were dating (in the Paleozoic Era) I opted not to go to my senior prom. That disappointed her. It was to be the first of many from me in the years to come.
            At that time I was “too cool” for that. I really did not feel like going through all the trouble of renting a tuxedo, making dinner reservations, and taking a shower. I felt it was all so superficial for an iconoclastic hipster like me. I was too busy being a non-conformist with all of the other non-conformists.
            After many years and three kids later, I saw this as a chance to rewrite history. So I took time off from work to go to the prom.
            I needed to rent a tuxedo. I have only worn a tuxedo on a handful of occasions and each time the tuxedo was over-sized  I looked like a shrunken James Bond without all the cool gadgets. Since my wife wore a black, “spicy” dress that made her look like Rita Hayworth I had to wear something comparable.
            Lucky for me they had a zoot suit that matched. A “zoot suit” is an over-sized suit that was very popular in the forties among the Latino set. Imagine my surprise when the guy was measuring my inseam for a suit that purposely does not fit!
            My tux was nice. The shoes were made for a dwarf. So, I ordered a new pair and the correct ones arrived without incident. My wife and I showed up at the party looking like Rita Hayworth and Al Capone.
            Everyone else wore retro clothing from the early 80’s. There were mullets and high-sprayed Aqua Net bangs everywhere. We were the only ones who went an additional forty years earlier. It was not so bad since the venue had not changed since the thirties.
            On the night, I only knocked my wife down one time. I think I may have done the moonwalk. I had come full circle. Of the things on the “woulda-coulda-shoulda” list I can cross off going to the prom. I did it. We had such a great time.
            In a hundred years when my progeny lay flowers on my grave, I hope this article explains my epitaph.
“Dance? Nay.”         
                        

No comments: