Sunday, March 16, 2008

Here come da PIG!

I just finished putting a large Boston butt on the grill to make my first ever attempt at Memphis style pulled pork. I had some when Brooke and I were in Tennessee and I loved it!
We have lots of feral pigs around here which increases the availability of great BBQ meat.
This particular pig had the misfortune of meeting Brian Scott. Unfortunate, of course, for the pig. I, on the other hand, benefitted nicely.
I have the grill setup for indirect grilling. The roast is only about ten pounds so I figure it'll only take about four hours to fully cook. It should be ready by lunchtime. The pig is seasoned with sea salt and coarse black pepper all over it. The fat side is down.
My wife says I'm the "meat master". Hopefully, this is one thing she was talking about.
If you want to increase your own grilling prowess buy and study any of the BBQ books put out by Stephen Raichlen. Please visit his website at http://www.barbecuebible.com/.

UPDATE: Home run! The pig was a huge success. My infidel children even liked it! This marks the first time in a long while that peanut butter and jelly weren't called in to pinch hit.
Here's the deal:

  • Pork shoulder: 6-8 pounds. cooked at 275 degrees for about 4 hours. halfway through wrap with aluminum foil.
  • Sauce: 1 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 cup of ketchup. mix and add water for desired consistency. add black pepper, salt, and brown sugar to taste. bring mixture to a boil, then let simmer (covered) for about 15 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.

1 comment:

Momuvurkidz said...

You're the best meat cook ever!