Thursday, March 1, 2012

...generation gap.


     I was shocked when my Juvenile Units, all three of them, bailed on me.
     I was so happy to see that Netflix had added this fine gem of a movie (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band)  to their streaming library. It was one of my favorite's growing up as a kid. It has everything a kid could want: bright colors, great music, and corny special effects. Sadly, it had NOTHING of what critics wanted and was (and probably still is) regarded as a box office "flop". 
     Nevertheless, I wanted them to watch it and get the same nostalgic feeling I get when I see George Burns singing "Fixing A Hole". I was ready to share with them a piece of my history.
     What I got from them was the same revulsion as when I tried to make them watch "Xanadu". It turns out they were not at all interested in seeing Peter Frampton, the Bee Gees, or Steve Martin performing the Beatles' songs. They actually had the audacity to go downstairs and read books! 
     So, there I was. The cheese stands alone.
     I guess the younger generation will always have a distaste for the things their parents liked. 
    That's okay. 
    Twenty years from now, I'll have the last laugh when my grandchildren will be hiding in the bushes to keep from having to watch Sponge Bob Square Pants.

No comments: